Critics of the administration’s decision say that delisting the Houthis has emboldened the group to carry out terrorist attacks, most recently against a commercial airport in Saudi Arabia on Feb. 10 that injured at least a dozen civilians.
The attacks follow the U.N.'s thus far unsuccessful efforts to end the war in Yemen, which began in 2015 and placed the Houthis against a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia that includes the UAE.
The latest U.S. move would be in addition to the Pentagon's announcement last week of a deployment of a guided missile destroyer and advanced U.S. F-22 fighter jets to the UAE.
Herzog spent the night in Abu Dhabi, an Israeli official told Reuters. He will continue his UAE visit despite the Houthi attack, his office said.
Henry “Michael” Williams is accused of selling a Taurus G2C pistol to Malik Faisal Akram
The Houthi attack was unprecedented because the Iran-backed rebels had previously targeted Saudi Arabia and ships in the region but not the United Arab Emirates, which is a member of the Saudi-led alliance that intervened in Yemen's civil war in 2015.
Since the attacks, Emirati officials held talks with several of their regional allies and with the Biden administration regarding next steps.
UAE-backed Yemeni forces battle Houthis in key regions
In the past, the Houthis, who received weapons and support from Iran, have generally slammed Israel and put up antisemitic statements “cursing the Jews,” but haven’t attacked Israel.